Friday, May 4, 2012

Bird Sightings


Eastern Bluebird in our yard

In my next life I think I will be an ornithologist. My first true awareness of birds happened during the summer of my 15th year. It was my job to weed our enormous vegetable garden. I would begin very early in the morning because that is when the ground is the softest and the weeds pull easily. In my early morning solitude I was alone with my thoughts but I was not alone in my garden. The birds greeted me every day.  Over time I would stop and look up to see which bird it was that was singing which beautiful song.  They made me stop and pay attention.  Slowly I learned to distinguish bird from bird and song from song. It was the beginning of a lifelong friendship.

Currently residing in our yard are cardinals, goldfinches, bluebirds, tufted titmice, chickadees, nuthatches, robins, blue jays, swallows, sparrows, crows, rose-breasted grosbeaks, red tailed hawks, wrens, mockingbirds, woodpeckers, mourning doves, wild turkey, and killdeer. I’m sure I am forgetting some. The ducks, geese and loons have returned to the lake. Next week the Baltimore orioles and the hummingbirds should arrive. Last summer a magnificent bald eagle made frequent visits.

Here is a link of all the Massachusetts birds from the Audubon Society. Better than viewing them online, however, is seeing and hearing them in person. Sip your morning coffee outside on the porch while enjoying the ever-changing symphony.