Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cranberry Orange Nut Muffins


I am crazy for cranberries, so when they are available in the fall I go wild and buy them. A lot of them. They take up a lot of room in my freezer. Then, after the holidays, I sort of forget about them. Well this morning I was searching for something different to make for my guests when I pulled out an old favorite muffin book and found this recipe. I hadn't make these muffins in a long time and I knew I had plenty of cranberries on hand so voila, it was meant to be! They are so yummy; not too tart, not too sweet, just right!


Cranberry Orange Nut Muffins


2 cups flour
1 TB. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 TB. grated orange peel
1 1/2 cups fresh (or frozen) cranberries, chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts  or pecans


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin tin.


Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir in egg, juice, milk, and butter just 'til moistened. Fold in orange peel, cranberries, and nuts. Fill muffin tins.


Bake for 20-25 mins. Let cool in pan before removing. Makes 12 regular sized muffins or 6 jumbo muffins.